Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Blue is also my View


Francisco Gomez wrote a blog post titled "I Side with the Blue" where he comments on the polls found on the Texas Tribune. He found out that based on the polls done at the University of Texas only 11 percent of the people polled thought education had improved and only 37 percent agreed that Texas isn't spending enough on higher education. These numbers don't add up in my opinion. If most people think education is NOT improving, why don't more people think Texas should spend more on higher education? Surely if Texas spent more money on higher education it would be bound to improve more. I think either more people should think education is improving or more people should think Texas should spend more on higher education to get it to improve. I agree with Francisco in that we should invest more money into higher education because it promotes individuality and it creates an open environment that welcomes partisan identification. I also agree that candidates are scared to increase spending too much because their constituents wouldn't want that. Constituents wouldn't want to increase the budget for higher education because it would mean that they would have to pay more out of their pockets to help pay for more of the money going to higher education. If the constituents don't want it, then the candidates won't want it because it means they won’t get elected.

Francisco also wrote that only 36 percent of the people polled agree on allowing same sex couples to marry. I completely agree with Francisco that this is startling and the more I think about it the more angry I become. Francisco and I strongly believe that it is NOT up to the government to decide who is allowed to marry and who isn't  Along the same lines as Francisco was writing about, we used to believe that people of the same race should not be allowed to marry. Now we call that racism and discrimination. I believe that making it illegal for same sex couples to marry is also discrimination and it is unreal to me that it is still going on. No matter what our sexual orientation is we are all human beings who deserve to have the same equal rights no matter what.   

No comments: